Meet Pastor Randy. Pastor Randy is the associate pastor at Your Community Church. He assists the senior pastor in project coordinating, oversees house church and new member ministries…and is regarded as one of the nicest people in town.
Yet, despite his warm nature, Pastor Randy is a mystery man, with bivocational obligations keeping his church attendance in check.
Truth is: Randy is a road warrior…an aerial champion who travels heavily to meet the requirements of his personnel recruiter position. Unfortunately, due to his loaded schedule, his influence is somewhat hindered by limited availability.
No doubt, Randy is committed and takes his ministerial responsibility seriously. For instance, Randy will use his “down time” at an airport or hotel to catch up on weekly correspondences with church members and staff.
However, Randy finds it hard to keep pace relationally and organizationally, as he’s often the last staff member to receive important updates (If only they use ‘Slack’). Furthermore, since Randy often misses out on opportunities to offer timely insight, the majority of church attendees aren’t aware of his spiritual giftings.
Randy has a devoted wife and a couple rambunctious kids who hold down the fort while he’s away. When he’s not on the road, Randy loves soaking up quality time with family and friends, whether it’s at the movie theater or serving the homeless at his local community center.
- Limited availability.
- Tendency to over-rely on technology versus in-person interaction.
- Little time for family and peers due to heavy workload outside of church.
- Has little time to directly develop and mentor.
- Struggles to communicate from the road.
- Often feels invisible.
- Is able to inspire others by a relentless and disciplined work ethic.
- Has stable job to provide for family.
- Is gifted in building meaningful connections with people wherever he’s at.
- Has the tools to inspire people, even at a distance.
- Character constantly refined by “real world” experiences and challenges.
The challenge is real…and so are the opportunities. Do you fit into this profile? What are some other challenges or opportunities you have encountered? Share in the comments below.
Photo credits: travisallendot.com & pixgood.com.